The Fisher Paykel Evora Nasal Mask is the newest installment into the family of nasal PAP interfaces. Today I will breakdown my experience with the Evora mask.
Let’s get started.
This newest mask interface by Fisher Paykel sports many features, such as
- Lightweight feel
- Simple design
- Several means of adjustability
- Soft nasal cushion options and small, medium and large sizes
- Compact size
- Five parts assemble the total mask
Upon wearing this mask for the first time out of the package, I experienced:
- Immediate baseball-cap-like placement on my head
- A snug fit with zero nasal and facial irritation,
- Easy and quick headgear adjustment with snaps on the top of the head and Velcro on the sides
Benefits of application
- A soft cradling of nostril area
- The mask staying in place with every head movement
- Light pressure on the top of head, sides of face and at the base of skull
- Convenient 360 degree placement of lightweight tubing
- Easy removal
When seated and using this mask without a PAP device attached, I could achieve comfort and ease into working with this mask.
The soft nasal cushion is supple and gentle when pressed against a sensitive nostril region.
The cushion is easy to press into the nostrils without an immediate sense of blockagebut conforms to the nostril area with no additional pressure.
After using the sizing tool, the opening in which it would deliver PAP pressure is generous enough to allow a flow of air, but small enough to seal.
CPAP Experience with the Evora when awake
When PAP air pressure is added to the mask wearing experience, the air pressure initially fills the cushion and nostrils, as expected. The force of air into the nose eases with the synchronization of simple, unlabored breathing.
Such an experience improves with practice as one’s breathing pattern adjusts to new therapy.
For the experienced PAP user, it may not affect breathing pace and effort when changing to an interface like the Evora.
Sleeping with the mask
The Fisher-Paykel Evora presented minor issues during sleep. Each experience is briefly described below:
- Back sleeping did not aggravate the fit nor placement of the mask. Also, the mask did not ride upward, press into my nostril area and push my nose upward.
- The Evora remained in place and offered the same, if not better, comfort after a night of back sleeping.
- On a separate night, I wore the Evora with side sleeping and with a well supportive pillow. The pressure of the Evora frame against the cheeks produced a light impression in the morning, which disappeared within a few minutes. No irritation or redness resulted on my face from side sleeping.
- The pressure of one’s head into the pillow for back sleeping or side sleeping did not cause the mask frame to shift up or down dramatically and avoided rubbing. The rest of the headgear stayed on my head with no issues.
- When I wanted to ease the setting on the mask during the night, I made a quick change of the Velcro, and the snapping off the top of the headgear proved easy, without the need to be completely awake to do this.
- On a third night of sleeping with the Evora, I moved around to test the sturdiness and movability of the mask. For much of the night, the Evora remained in place without major re-adjustments.
My overall initial experience with the Evora was excellent for regular use with PAP generated OSA therapy.
Washing with a mild soap and warm water is recommended with the Fisher Paykel Evora mask. Rinsing with warm water is also recommended. Air drying is best, and any use of a washer or dryer is unnecessary.
The silicone-based cushion cleans easily and does not discolor after washing with warm water and mild soap, like Liquid Dawn, etc. The cushion dries within a few hours after washing. After which, the sensation of the silicone before and after washing is consistently delicate and comfortable.
The fabric covered plastic frame stays cozy against the skin and sides of the face. The same fabric takes the better part of a day to dry. The Velcro strap stays stretchable and supportive for the back of the head. The strap also takes hours to dry after washing.
The hard plastic atop the mask does not press into the scalp (very important because I have no hair) with repeated use. The hard plastic dries quickly with a dry towel.
Overall, this mask does not produce a smell or odor after cleaning, unless the soap features a scent.
Recommendation and mask rating
Personally and professionally, I rate the Fisher Paykel Evora mask a 9 out of 10 based on:
- Ease of use
- Ease of care and cleaning
- Sleep quality
- Preference probability over other mask choices
The one detail to this mask to watch out for is its longevity, which I could not adequately test over a span of weeks and months.
My educated guess is that the mask will hold up for its recommended life span of six months and will need to be replaced, per Fisher Paykel…
The Fisher Paykel Evora mask offers consistency in the delivery of pressurized room air from a PAP device and does not surprise the user with dramatic highs and lows of pressure unless there is a significant leak from the PAP circuit or by PAP malfunction.
The sleeping experience with the Evora produced steady results when observing the recorded AHI from night to night. My AHI remained near plus or minus two and did not cause any increase or decrease in usage duration.
My sleep quality remained the same, with slightly better sleep quality on night one and two because of the newness of the mask experience.
Most PAP equipment changes can result in an initial improvement in sleep but plateau after a short time, which is to be expected.
My experience with the Fisher Paykel Evora might ease a potential user’s concern of the transition period from one mask to another.
There is most likely more to describe after using the Fisher Paykel Evora over weeks and months. However, the aim of this review was to articulate the initial impressions of a three-to-four-night initial use of the Fisher Paykel Evora mask.
If a nasal PAP mask is your style of choice, you should give this interface a serious try and experience just how effective the Fisher Paykel Evora really is. A great night’s sleep awaits!
Bill Bistak, B Sc.
Ontario Sleep Care